The Orlando Fire Museum is a two story brick building, formally known as the Orlando Firehouse Number 3 that dates back to 1926.
The building was returned to the Orlando Fire Department in 2002 after a multi-year lease ran out with the Historical Society of Central Florida.
The desire to preserve the fire station and the death of Calvin Bookhardt, Assistant Fire Chief in 1972, brought about renewed interest in enacting a memorial for fallen fire fighters.
A team of dedicated volunteers plus fifteen years of work led to the station reopening as a museum ready for public view.
Among the Museum's fire fighting collections are restored fire engines to include, a 1911 horse-drawn steam pumper, a 1915 LaFrance Fire Engine, and a 1919 LaFrance Ladder Truck.
Its walls are lined with photographs and documents which display their service to the community.
Other Fire fighters' gear on display include: dress uniforms, bomb suits, old metal fire hats, a variety of bells and whistles.
The Museum also houses a memorial dedicated to fire fighters who sacrificed their lives in service.
The Orlando Fire Department Centennial celebration in 1985 drew large crowds of visitors to include firefighters from around the world to visit the museum.
The building was refurbished from top to bottom in the early 1990s.
Around this same time, a former Apopka Fire Department engine from the 1950s was added to the collection.
The museum hosts muster events, where old-fashioned bucket brigade reenactments entertain the community.
They also offer various educational and training courses related to fire services to the public.
Friday 9AM - 3PM
Saturday 9AM - 4PM
Also available by appointment
814 E Rollins Street
Orlando, FL 32804
If you found this information useful, please like, share, tweet, pin or plus this page.